Skip to main content

Voting in local elections

Local elections are held in Ontario to elect local representatives, including municipal council members, district social services administration board (DSSAB) members and school board trustees.

Local elections are not administered by Elections Ontario. They continue to be the responsibility of municipal clerks, District Social Services Administration Boards (DSSABs) and some school boards.

Elections Ontario is responsible for maintaining the Permanent Register of Electors for Ontario, commonly known as the Register, which includes information about electors eligible to vote in provincial and local elections.

If you or your spouse own or rent property other than your home address in Ontario, you may be eligible to vote in more than one local election. 

When a local election is called, contact your municipality, DSSAB or school board for information about when, where and how to vote.

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is legislatively required to collect school support information. You can update your school support designation through MPAC.

Search the Register to confirm, update or add your information to the Register, including adding or removing a property. You will need to provide one piece of ID and/or other documentation