Contributions are money, goods or services given to a political party, candidate or constituency association. The contribution must be given to support the election of a candidate to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario.
You are eligible to make a contribution if:
- you are a resident of Ontario
Anonymous contributions are not allowed.
For more detailed information, refer to the CFO Handbook for Political Parties, the CFO Handbook for Constituency Associations or the CFO Handbook for Candidates or contact us.
The individual contribution limits starting January 1, 2019 are as follows:
Contribution limits from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019
|To a Political Party||To a Constituency Associations / Nomination Contestants combined||To a Candidate||To a Leadership Contestant|
|Annual Limit||$1,600||To the Association / Nomination Contestants of one Party||Not permitted||$1,600|
|Campaign Period||No extra amount over the annual limit||To the Candidates of one Party / Independent Candidates||Not applicable|
Please refer to the following payment guidelines when making your contribution:
- A monetary contribution of up to $25 may be given in cash.
- Any monetary contribution of more than $25 shall not be contributed in the form of cash; and shall be contributed in a manner that associates the contributor’s name and account with the payment, or by a money order signed by the contributor.
- No person shall contribute funds that do not actually belong to the person; or any funds that have been given or furnished by any person or group of persons or by a corporation or trade union for the purpose of making a contribution.
Please review the following tax receipt guidelines for your contribution.
1. After you make a contribution, a political entity must give you a tax
2. Tax receipts issued for goods and services:
- These count towards your contribution limit.
- These are not provided if you volunteer. However, if as a volunteer you provide out-of-pocket expenses such as food, gas and other materials, you can be reimbursed for those expenses with tax receipts.