Skip to main content

Register of Absentee Electors

Electors who are temporarily living outside the province can be added to the Register of Absentee Electors. Electors on the register are sent a special ballot kit to vote by mail whenever an election in their electoral district is called.

You can add your name to the Register of Absentee Electors anytime if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older;
  • are a Canadian citizen;
  • moved out of the province less than two years before election day;
  • had lived in Ontario for at least 12 consecutive months before you left; and
  • are planning to return to Ontario.

You are exempt from the two-year time limit if you are absent from Ontario for any of the following purposes:

  • on active duty as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces;
  • in the service of the Government of Canada or Ontario;
  • attending an educational institution; or
  • as an immediate family member of any of the above.