Register of Absentee Voters
Individuals who are temporarily residing outside of Ontario may be eligible to register as an absentee voter. To be eligible, you must be:
- 18 years of age or older;
- a Canadian citizen;
- temporarily residing outside of Ontario;
- a resident of Ontario for at least 12 consecutive months before leaving; and
- intent on returning to Ontario.
You are eligible as an absentee voter for up to two years from the date you left Ontario.
Voters exempt from the two-year limit
Absentee voters are exempt from the two-year eligibility limit and will need to provide proof of occupation or educational attendance if applying under one of the following categories:
- on active duty as a member of armed forces of Canada;
- in the service of the Government of Ontario;
- in the service of the Government of Canada and absent from Canada;
- attending an educational institution; or
- as a family member of one of the above.
Find examples of acceptable proof of occupation or educational attendance.
Register as an Absentee Voter
You can use eRegistration to add, update or confirm your information on the Register of Absentee Voters. If you are registered as an absentee voter and have resumed residence in Ontario, you can also use eRegistration to transfer your information to the voters list.
Find examples of acceptable ID needed to register or update your information.
You can also complete an application form and return it to us by:
- email to email@example.com with an attached copy of your ID; or
- mail with a photocopy of your ID.
Please note that applications sent by mail or email may take longer to process.