Privacy and Security of Personal Information
At Elections Ontario, we are committed to protecting the privacy and security of personal information in ways that:
- respect the privacy of individuals whose information is collected, used and disclosed by Elections Ontario; and
- integrate privacy best practices into business practices and the design of programs, services, systems and processes at Elections Ontario.
Updates are made to the voters list on an ongoing basis using information from federal, provincial and municipal data sources such as the National Register of Electors maintained by Elections Canada, and through direct updates from electors.
The Chief Electoral Officer of Ontario is permitted under the Election Act to provide information from the voters list to:
- the Chief Electoral Officer of Canada;
- any municipality in Ontario and its local boards;
- Members of the Provincial Parliament;
- registered political parties; and
The Guidelines for the Use of Electoral Products explains what information is shared, when it is shared, how recipients are authorized to use it, and their responsibilities for safeguarding voter information.
The Chief Electoral Officer of Ontario may, on the written request of a voter and subject to approval, redact from any record made available to political entities, data partners and to the public, any information that the Chief Electoral Officer reasonably believes would, if made available, endanger the life, health or security of the elector.
To request a redaction of information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.