Skip to main content

Voting When You're Away From Home

If you are unable to vote at an advance voting location or on election day, or are temporarily living outside of Ontario, you may be eligible to vote by special ballot.

To vote by special ballot, you will need to complete an application form and provide one piece of identification. Special ballot application forms become available once a general election or by-election has been called.

Eligible electors temporarily living outside of the province have the option to add their names to the Register of Absentee Electors. Voters on the Register of Absentee Electors will automatically receive a special ballot kit by mail when a general election or a by-election in their electoral district is called. The special ballot kit will allow them to vote by mail using a write-in ballot.

Find out more about the identification requirements for voting by special ballot: