Register of Absentee Voters
Register of Absentee Voters is only for eligible provincial electors temporarily living outside of Ontario who intend to return to Ontario.
To be eligible to register as an absentee voter, you must be:
- 18 years of age or older;
- a Canadian citizen;
- temporarily residing outside of Ontario;
- a resident of Ontario for at least 12 consecutive months before leaving; and
- intent on returning to Ontario.
You are eligible as an absentee voter for up to two years from the date you left Ontario.
Absentee voters can be exempt from the two-year eligibility limit and will need to provide proof of occupation or educational attendance if applying under one of the following categories:
- on active duty as a member of the armed forces of Canada;
- in the service of the Government of Ontario;
- in the service of the Government of Canada and absent from Canada;
- attending an educational institution; or
- as a family member of one of the above.
To update, add or remove your information, you will need to provide one piece of accepted ID showing your name and last home address before leaving Ontario.
If you are added as an absentee voter and have resumed residence in Ontario, you can search the Register to transfer your information to the Register.
Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form.
Your last home address in Ontario determines your electoral district while you are added as an absentee voter. Once approved as an absentee voter, you:
- can only vote by mail;
- cannot make any changes to your absentee record starting 5 weeks before election day;
- will be mailed a voting kit whenever an election is called in your electoral district;
- are responsible for the cost of returning your completed ballot before 6 PM (Eastern Time) on election day; and
- will not be automatically transferred to the Register and must update your information once you have resumed residency in Ontario or have exceeded the two-year limit (if applicable).
Elections Ontario may contact you periodically to request additional information or to request that you confirm your status as an absentee voter.