How to Register as a Leadership Contestant
Leadership contestants in Ontario must be registered with Elections Ontario. Registration allows a leadership contestant to receive contributions and finance political activities during the contest period.
Before you can apply to be registered as a leadership contestant with Elections Ontario you must:
- appoint a chief financial officer (CFO)
- appoint an auditor
You cannot apply to be registered as a leadership contestant until the first day of the leadership contest. This day is determined by the party and filed with Elections Ontario.
There is no fee to register with Elections Ontario as a leadership contestant.
When you fill out forms please be sure that:
- all information is accurate and complete (inaccurate information will cause delays and may be a contravene of the Election Finances Act)
- information is typed or printed clearly on the form
For complete details, please see the CFO Handbook for Leadership Contestants.
Registration of leadership contestants starts on the first day of the leadership contest. This day is determined by the party and filed with Elections Ontario.
Once the contest has started, you can register as a leadership contestant using the following steps:
- Complete and sign Form LC-1: Leadership Contestant Registration and Change Notice.
- Get endorsed by your party. A political party can endorse a leadership contestant by signing the contestants LC-1 form.
- Send us your completed form with endorsement.