How to Register or De-register Constituency Associations
Constituency associations in Ontario must be registered with Elections Ontario. By registering, a constituency association is able to receive contributions and issue tax receipts, finance its political activities and endorse candidates.
Before you can apply to be registered as a constituency association with Elections Ontario you must:
- appoint a chief financial officer (CFO);
- appoint an auditor; and
- meet any pre-registration requirements of your political party.
There is no fee to register a constituency association.
When you fill out forms please ensure:
- all information is accurate and complete (inaccurate information will cause delays and may be a contravention of the Election Finances Act); and
- information is typed or printed clearly on the form.
For complete information on registering or de-registering a constituency association please see the CFO Handbook for Constituency Associations.
To register a constituency association you must do the following:
1. Complete and sign Form A-1: Constituency Association Registration and Change Notice.
2. Get the constituency association endorsed by your political party. A political party can endorse a constituency association by:
- having a party official sign the A-1 form; or
- sending a letter of endorsement to Elections Ontario (often done for multiple constituency associations).
3. Send us your completed form and endorsement.
There are two ways that a constituency association can be de-registered:
- Voluntary de-registration
- Discretionary de-registration
If you wish to voluntarily de-register a constituency association, you need to send a written request to Elections Ontario.
There is no fee to de-register a constituency association. There are filing requirements and requirements for the constituency association’s funds. Please see the CFO Handbook for Constituency Associations for details.
Information on discretionary de-registration and re-registration after de-registration can also be found in the CFO Handbook for Constituency Associations.