Skip to main content

How to File a Formal Complaint

The Chief Electoral Officer administers the Election Act, Election Finances Act and other specific duties assigned by the Representation Actthe Municipal Elections Act, 1996the Taxpayer Protection Act, 1999and the Fluoridation Act.

Anyone who wishes to file a complaint under the legislation must do so in writing:

To use our online complaint form, click here.

You may also send us a written complaint by mail.

If you write to us, please be sure to include:

  • your name;
  • the mailing address, phone number and email address where we can contact you;
  • and a detailed description of your complaint -- in other words, the “who, what, when, and where.”


Complaints process

We do not publicly comment on whether or not we have received a complaint or whether we are investigating a matter.

When we do receive a complaint about a violation of the Election Act or Election Finances Act, we review it and may investigate. If the Chief Electoral Officer believes there may have been an apparent contravention of either Act, he is required to refer the matter to the Ministry of the Attorney General.

The Ministry may refer the matter to the police for investigation and prosecution. When our investigations are complete, or if a matter has been referred to the Ministry, the Chief Electoral Officer reports on the investigations in his next report tabled with the Legislative Assembly.

View our Complaints, Investigation and Enforcement Policy.