How to Register or De-register Constituency Associations
Constituency associations in Ontario must be registered with Elections Ontario. By registering, a constituency association is able to receive contributions and issue tax receipts, finance its political activities and endorse candidates.
Before you can apply to be registered as a constituency association with Elections Ontario you must:
- appoint a chief financial officer (CFO)
- appoint an auditor
- meet any pre-registration requirements of your political party
There is no fee to register a constituency association.
When you fill out forms please be sure that:
- all information is accurate and complete (inaccurate information will cause delays and may be a contravention of the Election Finances Act)
- information is typed or printed clearly on the form
For complete information on registering or de-registering a constituency association please see the CFO Handbook for Constituency Associations.
To register a constituency association you must do the following:
1. Complete and sign Form A-1: Constituency Association Registration and Change Notice.
2. Get the constituency association endorsed by your political party. A political party can endorse a constituency association by:
- having a party official sign the A-1 form
- sending a letter of endorsement to Elections Ontario (often done for multiple constituency associations)
3. Send us your completed form and endorsement.
Find contact information here, including where to send the forms.
There are two ways that a constituency association can be de-registered:
- Voluntary de-registration
- Discretionary de-registration
If you wish to voluntarily de-register a constituency association, you need to send a written request to Elections Ontario.
There is no fee to de-register a constituency association. There are filing requirements and requirements for the constituency association’s funds. Please see the CFO Handbook for Constituency Associations for details.
Information on discretionary de-registration and re-registration after de-registration can also be found in the CFO Handbook for Constituency Associations.